Student visa information and guidelines (2023)

Here is a brief guideline to help with understanding student visa regulations as well as the guidelines for student travel and visits from your student's parents throughout the exchange.

Student visa

EF High School Exchange Year issues DS-2019 forms to all students prior to their departure for the US. This form enables students to apply for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa at an American embassy or consulate in their home country. When traveling on a J-1 Visa, the sponsor organization, in this case EF, assumes responsibility for the exchange student’s immigration status; neither the school, nor the host family is responsible for sponsoring the student’s visa. The original DS-2019 Form and passport should be kept with the student at all times.

Your student must remain in possession of their government-issued documents (passport, DS-2019 Form, personal ID, etc.). You may work with your student to find a safe storage place for these documents, but it is not acceptable for these documents to be taken away from them (for example, families cannot hold them for their student in a family safe).

EF cannot extend a student’s visa to cover an additional year or summer months. Similarly, we cannot change the program end date on the DS-2019 Form, which is sometimes requested for a student to apply for a driver’s license in some states. Please note that the J-1 Visa restrictions prohibit any full- or part-time work, except for occasional casual work, such as babysitting, shoveling snow, etc.

Hostbound flights (travel to the US)

Students beginning school during the fall semester will travel to their host families on flights scheduled every week from mid-July to the end of August. Students arriving for the spring semester will travel between the end of December and the end of January.

We recommend students arrive about a week before school starts. Our EF office staff will reach out to you or your IEC to help you select the most convenient time for your student’s arrival and schedule the appropriate travel dates.

Flight information will be available about one week before the flight departs at which point you, your student and your IEC will be informed of the travel details. As with any kind of travel, last-minute changes due to flight delays, missed connections, weather, mechanical problems, etc., are possible.

Some EF students travel to the US on what are called “group flights” (several EF students flying on the same flight) while others travel independently.

EF makes every effort to provide supervision at the international departure airport and arrival airport in the US. When available, an airport supervisor ensures students depart and arrive safely and reports any travel changes or delays to EF Travel Support staff. Due to airport and TSA security guidelines, our supervisors typically cannot meet students at the gate. Some students may have to change planes before reaching their final destination, and we cannot guarantee supervision at all stop-overs.

Host families are expected to meet their student at the airport. Your student can not be picked up by any party other than you or your IEC, as we need to ensure the person picking up your student has completed our screening process. Once your student has arrived, you will want to remind them to contact their parents in their home country to confirm their safe arrival!

Student visa information and guidelines (1)

(Video) Canada Study Visa Requirements? Documents Required for applying Canada Study Visa? #studyvisa
Travel within the US

During the exchange, your student can travel with you inside the US. No approval is typically required for domestic trips; however, we ask that you inform your IEC of any travel plans and have your student tell their parents. Students are expected to pay for their own airfare and travel expenses.

If your family needs to travel out of town without your student, contact your IEC or EF to find another screened and approved host family that can accommodate your student. Students may not stay home alone overnight.

If your student wants to travel with someone else, the trip must be approved in writing in advance by EF and your student’s parents prior to booking travel. The travel companion(s) must be at least 25 years old and be screened and approved by EF. Call your IEC and the office at least three weeks prior to travel to give time for the screening process. Students may never travel overnight alone.

All student travel should be during school breaks or with pre-approval from the school if they will miss classes.

International travel on a J-1 Visa

Most EF students are given a “multiple entry” J-1 Visa. If granted a “multiple entry” visa, your student may travel on a brief trip outside the US and re-enter the country with signed permission from their sponsor (EF). Students with a “single entry” visa are not permitted to exit and re-enter the US during their exchange. Please contact the EF office for more information and to find out which type of visa your student has.

To exit and re-enter the US, students must demonstrate that their visa is in good standing. To do this, students must send their DS-2019 form to our Boston or Denver office at least three weeks prior to travel (sent to the attention of their Program Advisor) to be signed and dated by EF staff. Unless this is done correctly, students will not be able to re-enter the US.

Even if your student’s US visa allows exit and reentry, they may still need additional documentation or special visas to enter other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It often takes several weeks or even months to apply for and receive a visa for travel to another country. Help your student check with the nearest consulate for the most up-to-date accurate information on travel/visa needs.

EF staff must also procure the student's parent's written authorization for any trip outside the US. Any student traveling to Mexico will be required to show border officials a signed, notarized letter from their parents giving them permission to go on the trip.

Student visa information and guidelines (2)

(Video) UK Student Visa New Requirements & Rules 2022 International Students | UK Study Visa
Visits from family

It is normal for students to want to show their family their “new home” in the US. They are excited about their new friends, host family, school and community. With that in mind, we strongly discourage parents from visiting in the first half of the exchange. A visit earlier in the exchange can be very upsetting to the adjustment cycle and can create or worsen homesickness once parents leave.

Because we want our students to focus on their studies and remain academically motivated, we discourage families traveling to the US and taking trips with their child that may distract from this focus. We recommend parents visit after school has ended.

If your student’s parents do visit, you are not required to house them during their stay. We strongly recommend you direct them to a local hotel.

If you are having difficulty talking to your student about their parent’s visit, or need extra support, don’t hesitate to involve your IEC, RC and Program Advisor.

Homebound flights (travel from the US)

Whether students are in the US for one or two semesters, there are a variety of options available to plan their return to their home country. Students generally return home one week after the academic term has ended and EF will automatically book students on a pre-assigned travel date based on their last day of school.

If a student wishes to extend their stay, they can opt for a one-week extension. This option is best for students with personal travel plans, trips with host families, sporting competitions, etc. EF sends the extension approval email directly to host families.

Students who will be traveling with their parents at the end of the exchange have the option to be ticketed on an EF flight that leaves on the same date as their parents. This is only an option if the parents fly out of one of our many pre-approved airports. Visa restrictions may apply. Please refer to the flight information that will be sent later in the year or contact the office.

If none of these options work out, students can decline the EF offerings and purchase a flight on their own. Students are asked to approve the travel dates with their host family before buying a ticket.

Students returning home in the winter will start to receive flight information in November, and final itineraries are sent out in December. For students leaving in the summer, preliminary flight information will be made available in March or April. Final itineraries and tickets are emailed in May and June.

Find the right exchange student for your family

Does your family have any hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with an exchange student? Are you looking to learn more about a particular region of the world? Consider some of these topics and start browsing student profiles today.

(Video) Ireland student visa, requirements, processing time, checklist

No students found.

Browse student profiles

Student visa information and guidelines (3)

Before your student arrives

Preparation is key: how to make sure your family is ready

When will my student arrive?

How to start building your relationship before your student arrives

Add a personal touch to your student's room

How to prepare your exchange student for school

Using family mealtimes to get to know each

The advantages of hosting two exchange students

Student visa information and guidelines (4)

The first days

Making your student feel at home

Rocky start? Try active listening if you're struggling to communicate

Overcoming a language barrier: how you can help

Top tips for supporting your homesick student

(Video) HOW TO APPLY FOR CANADA STUDY PERMIT: Requirements for International Students (Buhay sa Canada)

Family relationships: helping your student create balance

6 stages of culture shock

Student visa information and guidelines (5)

Life with your student

Who to talk to if you have a question

Participation is important: help your student get involved locally

Overcoming challenges and misunderstandings with your student

Navigating religious differences and expectations

My student is struggling academically: how can I help?

What if it doesn't work out?

American traditions every exchange student wants to try

5 ways to enjoy fall as a family

10 ways to get in the Halloween spirit

5 ways to give back in November

The holiday season

Student visa information and guidelines (6)

Other topics

Frequently asked questions

Does your student want to apply for a local drivers license?

Important information when taking your student to the doctor

Health insurance: all EF students arrive with coverage

Student visa information and guidelines on travel

More trips with EF

Custodial guardianship

Saying goodbye and keeping in touch


What are the rules for student visa? ›

F-1 Visa Admission Requirements
  • A valid passport.
  • A copy of the photo you will use for your visa.
  • Printed copies of your DS-160 and I-901 SEVIS payment confirmations.
  • I-20 form.
  • School transcript and official test scores cited on your university application.
  • Diploma (if applicable)
  • Bank statements or other proof of finances.

What are the new rules for student visa in Australia? ›

The documents required for an Australia student Visa: Passport.
Other Important FAQs.
Visa TypesValid for
Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 and 462)4 months
Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590)3 months or 20 hours per week
Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)18 months to 4 years
Training Visa (subclass 407)2 years
2 more rows

What are the two types of student visa? ›

The United States government offers three student visa types including F, J, and M. Before you can apply for an F, J, or M student visa, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. institution of higher education that is certified by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP).

How long is student visa valid? ›

How long ist an F-1 visa valid? An F-1 visa is issued for up to 5 years. However, the residence status in the Unitd States is valid for the entire duration of the study and is noted on the I-20 form.

How much money do you need for a student visa? ›

F1 visa costs are around $510 per application, and you should apply at least three months before your course start date.

Is Australia giving student visa now 2022? ›

New Student Visa Conditions in 2022

The new visa conditions, 8204A and 8204B, have been added to student visa holders studying a higher education course or postgraduate research course and intend to change their course of study, thesis or research topic.

How long does it take to get an Australian student visa 2022? ›

Student Visa for Australia- Processing Timelines

As per reports, around 75% of visa applications are usually processed within 29 days while 90% of applications are processed within 42 days. 75% of applications are also processed in 43 days while 90% of applications are processed in 77 days.

How much money do I need for Australian student visa? ›

You need to have evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months' living, course and (for school-aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members. Fund Requirement: Student or guardian: AUD 21,041. Partner or spouse: AUD 7,362.

Can I work full-time on a student visa? ›

There are currently no restrictions on how many hours you can work on a student visa. The government decided to relax working hour restrictions in January 2022 ​​​​​to address workforce shortages. This means students can now work as many hours as they like in any industry.

Who qualifies as a UK student? ›

Who is eligible? Generally, individuals must be resident and 'settled' in the UK on 'the first day of the first academic year' of their course to be eligible for home student status. With some exceptions, they must also have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK for the three years before that date.

Who is eligible for student visa UK? ›

You can apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you're 16 or over and you: have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor. have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances. can speak, read, write and understand English.

Can I work on a student visa? ›

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment: Curricular Practical Training (CPT)


1. USA Study Visa Process New Requirements or Changes !! Embassy Visa & University, Fees & More
(WayUP Immigration USA)
2. How to apply for Canada Student Visa | Study in Canada | Requirements, cost, process +
(The Fisayo)
(Lau Rah)
4. UK Student Visa New Rules & Requirements 2023 for International Students | Study In UK
(WayUP Immigration UK)
5. USA Student Visa REQUIREMENTS after +2? Study in USA
(KL Vines)
6. Study Visa Requirements for Australia | Study in Australia | Apply With or Without IELTS | Call Now
(Pyramid eServices)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Kerri Lueilwitz

Last Updated: 03/12/2023

Views: 6005

Rating: 4.7 / 5 (67 voted)

Reviews: 82% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Kerri Lueilwitz

Birthday: 1992-10-31

Address: Suite 878 3699 Chantelle Roads, Colebury, NC 68599

Phone: +6111989609516

Job: Chief Farming Manager

Hobby: Mycology, Stone skipping, Dowsing, Whittling, Taxidermy, Sand art, Roller skating

Introduction: My name is Kerri Lueilwitz, I am a courageous, gentle, quaint, thankful, outstanding, brave, vast person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.